At its inception the Association consisted of about twenty members. It held its first meeting at the Black Lion Hotel located adjacent to Hindmarsh Stadium. The inaugural management committee of the Association comprised Bob Armstrong (President), George Turner (Secretary), Bill Graham, Zoran Kalocsia and Harry Sime. Ian Gossland of the SAASL was the ex-officio.
In October 1984 the Association became an incorporated body under the provisions of the Associations Incorporation Act 1956. The President at the time was Norm Gorringe and the first public officer was (John) Gordon Gosnold.
After formation, the Association continued to hold its meetings at the Black Lion Hotel before moving in 1983 to the Tubemakers Sports and Social Club and then back to the Black Lion Hotel in 1990. The Association used a number of venues after 1997 before settling in at the SAASL Headquarters at Grange from 2001 to 2015, and then from 2015 to 2019 the association again used a number of venues. In 2020 the Association now has its meeting at FSA - VALO Football Centre – The Parks, 46 Cowan Street, Angle Park SA 5010.